Terms and Conditions
We have determined our respective responsibilities for compliance with the obligations under applicable privacy legislation for processing your personal data. In summary, we have arranged that if you want to exercise your rights, such as your right to access, correct, erase, restrict, object or port personal data or to withdraw your consent, or if you have any questions or complaints about the processing of your personal data, you can either contact us in accordance with ‘Your rights’ (please see below). Saltycrax Backpackers will assist where necessary to ensure that you can exercise your rights and your questions and complaints will be handled.[/cq_vc_accordion_item][cq_vc_accordion_item accordiontitle=”2. The types of personal data we process”]
2.1 General. We may collect and process the following categories of personal information:
a. Name, passport number and other identifying information
For example, we may record your name, title, gender and date of birth, your nationality, country of residence and passport number.
b. Your contact details and personal account or registration details
Your contact details may include your address, telephone number and email address. When you create a personal account, or register for or book a service, we may also record your sign in details and other information you fill out on your personal account or registration form. For business travelers, we also collect information relating to your company such as company name and business location.
c. Information about your reservations, bookings and purchases
When you make a reservation, or book a package with us, we process your reservation and booking information. This information may include details about your flight, prices and the date of your reservation or booking. In addition, we process information in relation to ancillary services (such as upgrades and extra luggage) and products or other services you purchase.
d. Information about your travel arrangements
When you travel with us, we process information in relation to your journey. Such as your travel itinerary, check-in, your boarding pass and your travel companions. We may also record any specified medical needs or dietary requests you have and any additional assistance you require.
e. Our communication with you
When you send us an email or chat with us online or via social media, we register your communication with us. We also register your communication preferences. For example when you unsubscribe from one of our newsletters or when you choose to receive your booking related communication (such as confirmation, check-in notification, boarding pass, and flight status updates) via other channels than email (such as WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger). When you call us, our customer support will register your questions or complaints in our database. We may also record telephone calls for training purposes or to prevent or combat fraud.
f. Information we collect when you use our websites, apps and other digital media
• When you visit our websites, or use one of our mobile apps, we may register your IP address, browser type, operating system, referring website, web-browsing behavior and app use. We also collect information via cookies and similar technologies when you visit our websites or use our mobile apps.
• We may receive an automatic notification when you open our emails or click on a link in such emails.
• With your permission, we may also receive your location data.
• You can also agree to provide us with access to certain data stored on your mobile phone (such as photos and contacts).
g. Information in relation to social media
Depending on your social network settings we may receive information from your social network provider. For example, when you sign in for our services using a social network account, we may receive your social network profile including your contact details, interests and contacts.
h. Information you choose to share with us
You may choose to share information with us, for example when you share your interests and preferences with us, leave a comment for us on Facebook, fill out a customer survey or submit an entry for a contest.
2.2 Special categories of data. Certain categories of personal information we collect and use, such as data revealing racial or ethnic origin or data concerning health, can be considered ‘special categories of personal data’ under applicable data protection law.
2.3 Cookies and similar technologies. When you use our website or mobile apps we collect information via cookies and similar technologies.
3.1 We collect the aforementioned categories of personal data in the following ways:
a. We collect data you provide to us
When you make a reservation or book a package with us, create an online account, register for one of our marketing programs, contact our customer support, subscribe to receive our emails or mobile push notifications, register for one of our events or participate in a promotional contest.
b. We receive your personal data from your travel agent, our airline partners and other companies involved in facilitating your travel arrangements
We receive your data from these parties to handle your reservations and bookings and to fulfil your travel arrangements and purchases. For example, when you book a flight through a travel agent, we receive your identifying information and booking details from your travel agent. And if you use a third party platform to search and book a flight, we may receive those details from that provider.
c. Depending on your social network settings, we may receive information from your social network provider
Please see ‘The types of personal data we process’ above.
d. Some information we receive from public authorities or governmental organizations.
For example, the names of passengers who have disembarked at any South African Airport and who have been found to be carrying illegal drugs will be recorded by the Republic of South Africa. Saltycrax Backpackers receives the names of these persons from the Government of South Africa. Please see ‘For which purposes we use your data’ below for more information.
We also share your personal information with these third parties (please see ‘Disclosing or sharing data with third parties’ below).[/cq_vc_accordion_item][cq_vc_accordion_item accordiontitle=”4. For which purposes do we use your data”]
4.1 The main purposes for which we use your personal information are:
a. To provide our services to you
To handle your reservations and bookings and to fulfill your travel arrangements and purchases, we need to process most of the information described above. For example, we need your name, passport number and other identifying information. To confirm your booking and to inform you about changes in your travel arrangements, we need your contact details. And, to ensure that you receive the required care, we require your specified medical needs.
b. To provide our online services and mobile apps to you
• For example, we use your name and details when you check-in for your reservation or package with our app.
• Some of our online services and apps use your location, for example to show you the nearest location of your interest.
• To ease your use of our online services or apps, we may analyze the data we collect when you use our digital media and combine it with information collected via cookies and similar technologies (please see above). For example, to understand which digital channel (email, social media) or device (desktop, tablet or mobile) you prefer, so we can restrict our communication to that channel or device.
c. For statistical research
• General. We use automatic tools to perform statistical research into general trends regarding the use of our services, marketing programs, websites, apps and social media and the behavior and preferences of our customers and users.
• Categories of data. To perform our research, we may use the categories of personal data described above, including your booking data (such as date of departure, date of arrival, origin, destination, travel class, number and age of passengers), purchased ancillaries (products, upgrades) and personal details (gender, postal code). We combine this data with the data we collect with cookies and similar technologies when you visit our websites or use our apps. And we merge it with (aggregated) data collected by third party providers using analytical or marketing cookies or similar technologies. We only use aggregated data for our analysis and do not use your name or e-mail address. Without your consent, we will not use special categories of data for this statistical research.
• Legal basis. We process your personal data for our legitimate interests to develop better services and offers for our customers, to improve our loyalty programs, to provide more responsive customer support and to improve the design and content of our websites and mobile apps.
• Right to object. You have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to processing of your personal data for statistical research (please see below ‘Your rights’).
d. To send you updates and special offers tailored to your interests
• Communication. When you make a reservation or book a package with us, we send you personalized ads and special offers for travel related products and services in our booking related emails (unless you opt-out during the booking procedure). For example, before your leave your country, we will send you an email to help you prepare for your journey. In this email we may include special offers for your stay or extra products or activities at your destination. You may also subscribe to receive emails or mobile push notifications from us with updates and special offers tailored to your interest. For example, you can subscribe to the Saltycrax Backpackers newsletter which keeps you informed on attractive offers, inspiring destinations, package deals and the latest news. With your consent, we may also send you emails on specific occasions, such as a special offer on your birthday or personalized offers for your next trip within a few months after you return.
We may also use other communication channels to send you personalized ads and special offers, such as postal mail or, with your consent, social channels (such as Facebook or WhatsApp).
• Categories of data. We use your contact details to communicate with you. To understand what is relevant to you, we use automatic tools to analyze your personal data. For this purpose, we may use the categories of personal data described above, including your booking data (such as date of departure, date of arrival, origin, destination, number and age of people in the booking, travel classes), purchased ancillaries (products, upgrades), information about you (gender, zip code) and the interests and preferences you shared with us (such as bucket list, preferred way of travelling and travel company). We combine this data with data that we collect with cookies and similar technologies when you visit our websites or use our apps. And we merge it with (aggregated) data collected by third party providers using analytical or marketing cookies or similar technologies. Without your consent, we will not use special categories of data.
• Personalized offers. In our communication (see under above), we include personalized offers from Saltycrax Backpackers and our partners relating to our services and products. For example, we may include offers for our own ancillaries (upgrades, extra activities or products) or for package deals, travel bundles, car rental services and hotels offered by third parties. We tailor these offers to your interests. For example, with your consent we may send you an email after you return from a trip with offers based on your booking history to inspire you for your next trip. We may also share non-personalized information (destination, travel date and duration of the trip) with our partners so they can offer you with a relevant choice of accommodations, cars, tours and activities during your trip (please see ‘Disclosing or sharing data with third parties’ below). All communication is sent by Saltycrax Backpackers alone, no contact details are shared with our partners for this purpose without your consent. More information on our partners and the products and services they offer is provided when you subscribe and can be found on our websites.
• Legal basis. We process your personal data as described in this paragraph for our legitimate interest and the interests of third parties to provide you with relevant updates and offers.
• Opt-in and opt-out, unsubscribe and right to object. We only send you emails and mobile push notifications with updates and special offers with your prior opt-in. You can opt-out from receiving booking related commercial emails during the booking procedure. You can unsubscribe from these booking related commercial emails and the emails and mobile push notifications with updates and special offers, any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email, by adjusting your communication preferences in your account (if available), by changing your smart phone settings (for mobile push notifications) or by contacting us (please see ‘Your Rights’ below). When you unsubscribe, you will still receive our booking related and program service emails (such as your booking confirmation, e-brochure and welcome mail). You may object to the use of your personal data for direct marketing purposes anytime (please see below ‘Your rights’).
e. For other direct marketing purposes
• General. This paragraph describes specific examples of our use of your data for other direct marketing purposes.
• Marketing cookies. Our websites use marketing cookies which are typically placed by advertising networks. These networks are companies which act as intermediaries between Saltycrax Backpackers and advertisers. These marketing cookies are amongst others used to show relevant, personalised advertisements or offers (based on your visit to and click behavior on our websites) when you visit those networks or connected websites.
• Linked site behavior. If you log on to our website using your Saltycrax Backpackers profile or if you visit our websites via a link in an email, we will link your site behavior to your booking data on our data management platform. We mainly use this data to exclude you from further advertising once you have made a reservation or booked a package. For example, when you search for a package or product on our main website, marketing cookies will be used to show you relevant advertisements (see previous paragraph). When you make a reservation or book a package through one of our other websites (such as our corporate portal) or with one of our group companies, we will stop showing you further advertisements via marketing cookies based on your search behavior on our main website.
• Abandoned cart. When you break of your booking procedure on our website, we will send you a personalized email with a link to your booking procedure so you can continue where you left of. We will only send you such email at your request or if you have agreed to receive updates and special offers from us by email. You can withdraw your consent for such emails anytime by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email, by adjusting your communication preferences in your account (if available) or by contacting us (please see ‘Your Rights’ below).
f. To communicate with you
We use your contact details to communicate with you in relation to our services or programs, to answer your questions or to handle your complaints.
g. To secure order and safety when visiting us
• Safety, public order or discipline. Saltycrax Backpackers keeps a record of the names of passengers who have interfered with the safety, public order or discipline, either on board of a aircraft or on the ground, and in relation to whom Saltycrax Backpackers has decided that they will not allow passage on our properties for a limited or unlimited period of time, or only under certain conditions. These persons are personally informed (in writing where possible) about the fact that their name has been placed in these records and how long these special security measures will apply to them. For more information on how to view this data or amend it, please see ‘Your Rights’ below.
• Illegal drugs. The names of passengers who have disembarked at any South African Airport and who have been found by the Government of South Africa to be carrying illegal drugs will be recorded by the Republic of South Africa. Saltycrax Backpackers receives the names of these persons from the Government of South Africa. Saltycrax Backpackers may refuse to enter into any travel or booking contract with these persons for a period of three years for. You may request permission to examine this data or to make changes to its accuracy by submitting this request in writing to the Parliament of Republic of South Africa, PO Box 15, Cape Town, 8000, you should accompany this written request with a copy of your passport.
h. For record keeping and to comply with statutory obligations
We collect, store and use your data for internal business purposes, such as record keeping and to comply with our legal and fiscal obligations.
We may be required by law to collect and share your identifying information and your booking and travel information with public authorities or governmental organizations for the purpose of border control, immigration, entering the territory of South Africa or neighboring African countries, security or combating terrorism.
4.2 Legal basis. We collect, use and store your personal data to provide services to you, to comply with the legal obligations we are subject to, if necessary for our legitimate interests or the interests of a third party or on the basis of your consent.
You may withdraw your consent at any time by following the specific instructions in relation to the processing for which you provided your consent. For example, by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email, adjusting your communication preferences in your account (if available) or by changing your smart phone settings (for mobile push notifications and location data). You may also contact us to withdraw your consent (please see ‘Your Rights’ below).
If you refuse to provide personal data that we require for the performance of the contract or compliance with a legal obligation, we may not be able to provide all or parts of the services you have requested from us. For example, we may have to cancel your reservation or package or we may not be able to provide you with the ancillary services requested by you (such as special requests, products or activities). If you provide incomplete or inaccurate information, we may be forced to deny your entry onto our properties under applicable South African or international laws.
When we process your personal data for our legitimate interests or the interests of a third party, we have balanced these interests against your legitimate interests. Where necessary we have taken appropriate measures to limit implications and prevent unwarranted harm to you. Our legitimate interests may for example include security and safety purposes or to provide better services and offers to you. For more information on these interests, please see the ‘For which purposes we use your data’ above. Where we process your personal data for our legitimate interests or the interests of a third party, you have the right to object at any time on grounds relating to your particular situation (please see ‘Your Rights’ below).
5.1 General. We may disclose or share your personal data with our group companies, airline partners, your travel agents, suppliers that participate in our packages and marketing partners, service providers or subcontractors for the following purposes.
a. To facilitate your bookings and travel arrangements
To handle your reservations and bookings and to fulfill your travel arrangements and purchases, we must share your personal data with our group companies, partner airlines, airport operators and other companies involved in facilitating your travel arrangements. When you purchase our services through a travel agent or other third party, we also share your personal information data with these parties.
b. For support services
We use third parties to provide our services, such as IT suppliers, social network providers, marketing agencies, credit and charge card companies and anti-fraud screening service providers. All such third parties will be required to adequately safeguard your personal data and only process it in accordance with our instructions.
c. Statistical research and direct marketing
We may share your personal data with group companies and third parties for statistical research and direct marketing. Please see above ‘Statistical research’, ‘To send you updates and special offers tailored to your interests’ and ‘Other direct marketing purposes’ for more information.
d. To let you benefit from the services of our partners
With your consent, we may share your information with our partners to let you benefit from the services of these partners that we integrate or offer in our own services and apps. For example, we may share non-personalized information (destination, travel date and duration of the trip) with a hotel booking platform so it can provide you with an offer for a hotel tailored to your trip. Although we select our partners with care, these partners have their own privacy policies that apply to the way they use your personal data.
5.2 Public authorities. We may also be required by law to collect and share your identifying information and your booking and travel information with public authorities or governmental organizations for the purpose of border control, immigration, entering the territory of South Africa, security or combating terrorism.
6.1 Saltycrax Backpackers will take appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect your personal data against loss or unlawful use.
7.1 Saltycrax Backpackers may transfer your personal data to countries other than your country of residence. This occurs in the course of providing your travel arrangements or because our group companies, partners or service providers have operations in countries across the world. The laws of these countries may not afford the same level of protection to your personal data.
7.2 The transfer of personal data to countries other than your country of residence is often necessary to provide our services to you. In other cases, Saltycrax Backpackers will ensure that adequate safeguards are in place to comply with the requirements for the international transfer of personal data under applicable privacy laws. Saltycrax Backpackers may use Commission approved Standard Contractual Clauses as safeguards.
7.3 We may also be required to disclose your personal data to foreign public or government authorities. Laws in some other countries may require us to give border control agencies access to booking and travel information. Therefore, any information we hold about you and your travel arrangements may be disclosed to the customs and immigration authorities of any country in your itinerary. In addition, laws in several countries require Saltycrax Backpackers to collect your passport and associated information prior to travel to or from those countries. When required, we will provide this information to the relevant customs and immigration authorities. We may also disclose your personal data to government authorities if applicable law requires disclosure.[/cq_vc_accordion_item][cq_vc_accordion_item accordiontitle=”8. Your rights”]8.1 You may contact Saltycrax Backpackers (please see below) to exercise any of the rights you are granted under applicable data protection laws, which includes (1) the right to access your data, (2) to rectify them, (3) to erase them, (4) to restrict the processing of your data, (5) the right to data portability and (6) the right to object to processing.
1. Right to access
You may ask us whether or not we process any of your personal data and, if so, receive access to that data in the form of a copy. When complying with an access request, we will also provide you with additional information, such as the purposes of the processing, the categories of personal data concerned as well as any other information necessary for you to exercise the essence of this right.
2. Right to rectification
You have the right to have your data rectified in case of inaccuracy or incompleteness. Upon request, we will correct inaccurate personal data about you and, taking into account the purposes of the processing, complete incomplete personal data, which may include the provision of a supplementary statement.
3. Right to erasure
You also have the right to have your personal data erased, which means the deletion of your data by us and, where possible, any other controller to whom your data has previously been made public by us. Erasure of your personal data only finds place in certain cases, prescribed by law and listed under article 17 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This includes situations where your personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the initial purposes for which they were processed as well as situations where they were processed unlawfully. Due to the way we maintain certain services, it may take some time before backup copies are erased.
4. Right to restriction of processing
You have the right to obtain the restriction of the processing of your personal data, which means that we suspend the processing of your data for a certain period of time. Circumstances which may give rise to this right include situations where the accuracy of your personal data was contested but some time is needed for us to verify their (in)accuracy. This right does not prevent us from continuing to store your personal data. We will inform you before the restriction is lifted.
5. Right to data portability
Your right to data portability entails that you may request us to provide you with your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to have such data transmitted directly to another controller, where technically feasible. Upon request and where this is technically feasible we will transmit your personal data directly to the other controller.
6. Right to object.
You also have the right to object to the processing of your personal data, which means you may request us to no longer process your personal data. This only applies in case the ‘legitimate interests’ ground (including profiling) constitutes the legal basis for processing (see ‘Legal basis’ above).
At any time and free of charge you can object to direct marketing purposes in case your personal data are processed for such purposes, which includes profiling purposes to the extent that it is related to such direct marketing. In case you exercise this right, we will no longer process your personal data for such purposes.
8.2 You may withdraw your consent at any time
You may withdraw your consent at any time by following the specific instructions in relation to the processing for which you provided your consent. For example, you may withdraw consent, by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email, adjusting your communication preferences in your account (if available) or by changing your smart phone settings (for mobile push notifications and location data).
8.3 You can withdraw your consent for cookies and similar technologies we use when you visit our websites or use our apps. There may be situations where we are entitled to deny or restrict your rights as described above. In any case, we will carefully assess whether such an exemption applies and inform you accordingly. We may, for example, deny your request for access when necessary to protect the rights and freedoms of other individuals or refuse to delete your personal data in case the processing of such data is necessary for compliance with legal obligations. The right to data portability, for example, does not apply in case the personal data was not provided by you or if we process the data not on the basis of your consent or for the performance of a contract.
8.4 When you would like to exercise your rights, all you have to do is send your request to Saltycrax Backpackers
20 Briza Road
Email: [email protected]